Wrapping up 2020
2020 has certainly been a more challenging year than we all expected it to be. Yet, given the unprecedented hurdles, we are very glad to be able to look back at another important series of achieved milestones on Kitepower’s road to commercialisation:
• The final product scale and set-up of the first Kitepower Falcon 100kW series has been achieved with the integration of our new 60m2 kite with higher performance in traction and retracting phase. The results were beyond our simulated expectations.
• We have improved the usability of the system by simplifying field procedures, allowing for even shorter installation.
• We have made our system safer by enhancing the components’ performance, intensifying sub-component tests and optimising the system’s operational zones by lowering the space usage and ground clearance while keeping the energy output. Moreover, an outdoor material lifetime testing facility has also been further established.
• A dialogue on the first technical guidelines and regulations for the Airborne Wind Energy industry has started together with Fördergesellschaft Windenergie (FGW), EASA and all the members of AWEurope.
• We have moved our headquarters and workshops to a new awesome location within the Kabel District in Delft. In over 600m2, we are now combining workshops, indoor testing facilities and offices.
• We started collaborating with sustainable fashion designers with the goal to upcycle our kites and lines.
• We have been audited and re-certified with ISO9001:2015 quality management standard.
We are now looking forward to taking new decisive steps towards the affirmation of Airborne Wind Energy as a key technology to accelerate the global energy transition to renewables.
We wish everyone good health and success in the coming year!